Lensbaby has introduced a new optics holder called the Scout, which comes with a fisheye lens. Unlike other Lensbaby holders, the Scout cannot be bent. However, it will accept other special-effects lenses from the company’s Optic Swap System.
The Fisheye Optic has a focal length of 12mm and captures a 160-degree field of view. Lensbaby says the lens creates a circular image on a full-frame (35mm dimensions) sensor and a vignetting in the corners of APS-size sensors. However, the lens is designed with a creative lens flare effect so that the normally black areas glow with colour if there is a bright light in the image.
The lens includes six multi-coated glass elements in an aluminum body. A manually focusing design, it will focus as close as 1.3 cm (0.5 inch). The Scout can be used with other modules in Lensbaby’s Optic Swap System, which includes Soft Focus, Pinhole/Zone Plate, Double Glass, Single Glass, and Plastic.
Specification Highlights: Lensbaby Scout with Fisheye
- Scout Focusing: manual in-and-out
- Scout construction: aluminium
- Size: 5.79 x 6.63 cm height x diameter (2.28 x 2.61 in.)
- Weight: 227 g (8 oz.)
- Optics: ships with fisheye module, compatible with other Optic Swap modules
- Fisheye focal length 12mm (160-degree angle of view)
- Lens construction: six elements, multicoated
- Aperture: F/4, uses aperture disks to change aperture (range is F/5.6-F/22)
- Mounts: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, and Four Thirds (Olympus and Panasonic)