The AGW invites artists to submit to the Windsor Biennial 2011. This exhibition will explore recent developments in contemporary art from Windsor, Detroit and the surrounding communities. The AGW encourages proposals from individuals, groups and collectives and culturally diverse communities in all forms of visual arts media. Guest curator, Iain Baxter, will develop the exhibition concept based on the applications submitted. Selected artists will be contacted for further consideration.
For decades, Iain Baxter has spurred fellow artists to confront the nature of art and find their own forms of expression. He has motivated artists to think about things in their own ways, to ask the right questions, to try to find the aesthetic values that surround them. His witty use of language (creating words, names and ideas that are fresh and arresting) is one hallmark of his original contribution. This exhibition will provide an opportunity for artists, curators, and the public to identify regional impulses in contemporary art beyond the geo-political boundaries that divide our region.
1. The Windsor Biennial 2011 is open to artists living in Windsor, Detroit and surrounding areas including: Flint to the north; Ann Arbor to the west; Monroe to the south; and London and St. Thomas to the east; see MAP
2. Artworks in all media created in the past two years are eligible.
3. Submissions will include: electronic visual documentation on a clearly labeled disk (images must be as 72dpi JPEGs, approximately 1024 x 768 px in size or 500k (.5 MB) maximum, RGB only); videos on DVD should not exceed 10 minutes; and copies of related support material, for example: a curriculum vitae or resume; publications and reviews of previous exhibitions; and complete contact information including website and e-mail addresses. Note: Do not send original material; submitted materials will not be returned.
4. Artists will be contacted to confirm arrival of their submission. Once reviewed by the curatorial team, a short list of artists will be contacted in March 2011 for further consideration. If required, the curatorial team may visit artists’ studios to see works proposed for exhibition. Final selection of artists and works for exhibition will be made by June 13, 2011.
5. Deadline: Submissions must be received at the Art Gallery of Windsor, 401 Riverside Dr. West, Windsor, ON, N9A 7J1, by February 28, 2011.Deadline EXTENDED to March 15, 2011
6. Artists included in the exhibition will be paid an artist fee in accordance with Canadian Artist Representation (CARFAC) guidelines.
7. Artists are responsible for transporting their works to and from the AGW.
Iain Baxter&, Artist, Windsor
Mandy Salter, Curator, Art Gallery of Windsor
For more information contact Nicole McCabe, 519-977-0013 ext 134.