Mississauga, ON, February 24, 2014 – Nikon Canada today announced the release of the Nikon D4S, the premier HD-SLR available to professionals, unrivaled with its combination of incredible speed, accuracy, low-light performance and exceptional image fidelity. Designed for the most demanding photographers and multimedia professionals in the world, the Nikon D4S improves upon the revered D4 to give users enhanced image and video quality, improved autofocus (AF), faster performance during and after capture, in addition to an astonishing ISO range.
Nikon’s D-series of flagship cameras continues to push the boundaries of professional image quality, speed and features. The newly developed 16.2-megapixel FX-format sensor works in conjunction with the new EXPEED 4 image processing engine to deliver new levels of still and HD-video quality and performance. A new Group AF function and overall improvements build upon Nikon’s proven 51-point AF system, while the camera breaks convention with an ISO range that goes to an incredible 409,600 ISO (Hi-4) for maximum versatility in nearly any lighting condition. Overall speed and response is also enhanced, capturing full resolution at an astounding 11 frames-per-second (fps) with Auto Focus and Auto Exposure, while benefiting from an overall 30 per cent increase in processing power.
“By announcing the development of the new Nikon D4S earlier this year, Nikon has been able to work openly with professional photographers in the field to hone the camera’s core capabilities into an unparalleled tool that makes otherwise impossible images a reality,” said Gregory Flasch, National Advertising and Communications Manager at Nikon Canada. “The challenges of today’s professional multimedia photographer go beyond simply capturing amazing content. After the shutter clicks, the workflow enhancements the D4S provides will give Nikon users an obvious edge in the stands, in the studio, on the sidelines or in the field.”
Extreme Speed and Accuracy Give the Edge in the Field Whether shooting extreme action sports or elusive wildlife, the Nikon D4S has been engineered to be the ultimate combination of speed and accuracy, giving photographers the power to capture even the fastest moving, unpredictable subjects with confidence and control. The proven Multi-CAM 3500 FX AF sensor module’s thoroughly recalibrated autofocus (AF) algorithms quickly zero in on its intended target – no matter how near, far or abruptly a subject appears in the frame. Additionally, the D4S includes a new innovative Group AF mode. When selected, this mode utilizes five AF points to provide increased stability while tracking subjects, and enhanced accuracy by reducing instances of background focus. In situations where the background is bright with strong contrasting colours, photographers can now feel more confident knowing that small, distant and fast-moving objects can be rendered sharper and faster more frequently. Nikon’s AF Lock-on technology is also upgraded, shortening time in reverting from focus interruptions, such as a referee running into the frame.
Hundredths of a second can make the difference when capturing the decisive shot that graces the front page, the double-truck spread or the client’s mantel. With this in mind, the Nikon D4S also improves tracking on high-speed continuous shooting at a fast 11 fps with continuous AF/AE. Since missing the shot is not an option, Nikon’s EXPEED 4 plays an integral role in the D4S’ seemingly instantaneous response and swift performance, while also enhancing energy efficiency. The camera now features a processing time that is a full 30 per cent faster than D4, in addition to a 200-shot buffer (JPEG) at full resolution at the maximum continuous mode.
As a proven flagship for the world’s most demanding photographers, the D4S retains the features that made its predecessor the professional’s first choice. The Nikon D4S HD-SLR aligns 15 cross-type sensors in the centre to detect contrast data in both vertical and horizontal planes. In addition to identifying each AF-NIKKOR lens with an aperture of f/5.6 or lower, the camera also utilizes nine cross-type sensors that are fully functional when using compatible NIKKOR lenses and a teleconverter with a combined aperture value up to f/8, a great advantage to those photographing sports and wildlife from extreme distances.
The Advantage of Superior Image Quality
At the core of the Nikon D4S is a newly developed 16.2-megapixel FX-format CMOS Sensor (36 x 23.9mm), engineered to deliver an immersive dynamic range with exceptionally low noise. This newly developed image sensor works in tandem with the latest generation of Nikon’s powerful image processing engine, dubbed EXPEED 4, to bolster image quality, colour and sharpness in both stills and videos. The benefits of EXPEED 4
go well beyond high-speed image processing to provide evolved real-time noise reduction along with depth and clarity gradation rendering. The resulting images exhibit a wide tonal range with true and faithful colours.
Thanks in part to the new EXPEED 4 processing engine, the Nikon D4S now shatters the perception of what’s possible with available-light photography, giving users a native ISO range from 100-25,600 expandable from 50 ISO (Lo-1) to a staggering 409,600 ISO (Hi-4). This amazing ISO range rewrites the rulebook for available-light shooting, and is especially useful for professional sports shooters, photojournalists, and military and law enforcement agencies. The powerful EXPEED 4 image-processing engine incorporates an entirely new algorithm for even higher ISO noise reduction and colour fidelity, resulting in an enhanced overall sharpness and clarity without sacrificing subtle textures and luminous details. The enhanced ISO is also a major advantage for other professionals including wedding and portrait photographers, who can now confidently capture the darkest reception, a candlelit ceremony, or create crisp studio portraits with flawless fidelity.
Other advanced Nikon technologies also contribute to the superior image quality of the Nikon D4S, including a new enhanced standard Picture Control tone curve that gives greater depth and clearer colour rendition, especially on skin tones. For additional versatility, users have the ability to toggle face detect AF on or off while shooting through the viewfinder, and white balance calculation has been further refined for accuracy, while spot white balance is employed for easier presetting with more options.
Nikon’s exclusive 91,000-pixel RGB 3D Colour Matrix Metering III system returns on the D4S to help capture true-to-life colours while solving the most challenging exposures, from sun-lit snow to stadium lighting. The system works by meticulously analyzing the variables within each scene and recognizing factors such as colour and brightness values with unprecedented exactness. This data is then interpreted and compared against the camera’s on-board database to implement various settings, resulting in vibrant images with faithful colour reproduction and balanced exposure.
Faster Workflow During and After Capture
While shooting speed and response matter in the moment, workflow speed has become increasingly important in a more competitive landscape. The D4S delivers upon the need for that speed with features that are engineered for today’s professional:
● New RAW SIZE S files: In addition to shooting JPEG, full size RAW (NEF) and TIFF files, the Nikon D4S also has a new file setting to enhance workflow, RAW SIZE S. This setting allows for shooting 12-bit uncompressed Nikon NEF files that are approximately half the size (2464 x 1640) of standard uncompressed RAW files and are more easily manageable – speeding up the entire workflow process.
● Faster transfer rate: When connected via local area network (LAN), users can now transmit files using Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Base-T LAN). This significant decrease in transfer times means more time spent shooting and less time transmitting files.
● Improved battery life: Despite its processing power, the D4S is remarkably power-efficient. With the addition of a new EN-EL18a Lithium-Ion battery, the D4S can easily outlast the action with up to 3,020 (CIPA rating) shots in single mode and 5,960 shots (Nikon testing) in continuous mode.
● Dual card slots: The D4S uses both CF cards as well as the super-fast XQD card format to achieve the fastest possible transfer and write times.
Video Features Fit for the Modern Production Environment
With an increase in potent processing power, the D4S ups the ante when it comes to multimedia workflow and content capture. A versatile tool on location or on set, the D4S offers enhanced video quality and video-friendly features in a compact and lightweight HD-SLR form factor.
In addition to the innovative video attributes from the D4, the D4S offers the following new features:
● Full HD video in variable frame rates: Users have the choice of various resolutions and frame rates, including a new 1080/60p option for increased flexibility in post. Users can also shoot at 1080/30p or a cinematic 24p as well as various other NTSC and PAL frame rates and resolutions. By utilizing the B-Frame data compression method, users can record H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC format video with unmatched integrity for up to 29:59 minutes per clip.
● Selectable image area: Users now have the ability to select an image area in Live View mode to match the glass or shooting style. To best suit the scene, FX, DX (1.5x) and 2.7x cropping is available.
● Expanded ISO range for video and auto ISO control: The D4S’ FX-format image sensor and EXPEED 4 work hand-in-hand to render a natural transition between bright and dark scenes, all while delivering rich tones, sharp edges and minimized noise, even at high ISOs. The D-Movie mode has a wide standard ISO range – from 200 to 25,600 to shoot in nearly any lighting. Furthermore, the ISO can be pushed up to an ISO 409,600 (Hi-4) equivalent. The D4S lets you maintain manual exposure for controlled shutter speeds and aperture settings while the camera automatically dictates the ISO maximum sensitivity from 400 to Hi-4. For assignments with dramatic shifts in lighting, this can be a remarkably useful tool.
● Uncompressed 1080/60p: For the purest video quality, the D4S allows direct output of uncompressed files via HDMI. Output can be recorded to an optional outboard digital video recorder, making for an efficient editing workflow.
● Manual control: Like the D4 HD-SLR, the D4S offers full manual control when shooting videos for maximum creative versatility.
● Simultaneous recording: When recording to an external digital recorder via HDMI, the D4S can now simultaneously write to the CF or XQD card. This function is ideal for creating backups and recording while live-streaming content.
● Improved sound: The range of audio frequency is now selectable with options such as Wide Range and Voice Range. Wind noise reduction and audio levels can be changed during recording.
● Smoother exposure transition during time-lapse and interval-time shooting: Creating breathtaking time-lapse movies is even easier with the D4S. The camera renders exposure transitions with unprecedented smoothness. Such scenes have been difficult to capture in manual or auto exposure mode, but now users can apply an auto exposure to achieve professional-grade time-lapse and interval-time shooting.
● NIKKOR lens compatibility: The highest calibre optics are vital to creating HD images, and Nikon is the world leader in optics manufacturing with a legacy spanning more than 80 years. Nikon has a vast NIKKOR lens system, with more than 80 lenses including 65 FX-format lenses with a variety of focal lengths and features, including VR vibration reduction.
Pro-grade Construction and Controls
As a flagship camera for professionals, the D4S is engineered to excel in the world’s toughest environments, while giving pros the features
needed to get the shot. The shutter has been tested to 400,000 cycles, and the camera chassis is constructed of lightweight and durable
magnesium alloy. Additionally, the camera is sealed and gasketed from moisture, dust and electromagnetic interference to resist the elements.
While shooting, users will appreciate a slightly modified control layout and ergonomics for faster and more comfortable usage. Subtle changes increase grip and comfort, making the camera easier to hold for a wider range of hand sizes and more comfortable during prolonged use. Photographers will also benefit from composing through a bright viewfinder with 100 per cent coverage. The D4S also features a newly designed mirror-moving mechanism, which uniformly and effectively absorbs mirror slap to minimize viewfinder blackout time. Even at 11 fps, this innovation makes it easier to track a fast subject through the optical viewfinder.
The Nikon D4S’ wide and bright high-resolution 921k-dot, 3.2-inch LCD screen lets users easily change menu settings, compose and review images. Photographers have the ability to customize the colour of the LCD monitor to better match studio monitors or personal preferences. Additionally, the LCD retains its auto-brightness function that automatically adjusts the brightness of the monitor to increase visibility and conserve battery life.
Price and Availability
The Nikon D4S HD-SLR is scheduled to be available at Authorized Nikon Canada Dealers in early March, 2014 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $7,149.95 for the camera body only.
Exclusive Canadian Warranty
Nikon Canada offers a two-year warranty for the Nikon D4S purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Additionally, Nikon Canada offers a five-year warranty for all NIKKOR lenses purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer. Consumer’s investment is protected by Nikon Canada’s warranties with in-Canada service.